For over 20 years Kate Deering has been involved in the health and fitness industry helping men and women of all ages achieve optimal health and wellness. Kate’s practice is based on a holistic approach to health and wellness by looking at the entirety of a person’s well-being. A person’s well-being includes diet, stress, exercise, posture, sleep, digestion, hormones, mind-set and lifestyle. Kate believes maintaining all of these key components are vital to a person’s overall health and happiness. Her expertise is based on certifications as a CHEK Exercise Coach, CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach 2, Olympic Lifting Coach, Resistive-Stretching Practitioner and Certified Nutritional Consultant.
Kate, an athlete her entire life, has played competitive tennis, participated in dozens of running races, including the Las Vegas Marathon, hiked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim and Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the continental U.S. She is currently training in her second Pedal the Cause 100 mile Cycling event to raise money for cancer research. Her personal accomplishments along with her education and training molded her approach to training her clients from a fitness-dominated perspective.
In 2010, Kate realized her years of focus on solely physically training her body began to break down. She hit a physical and emotional wall. Everything she believed, practiced and espoused was no longer working. This is when Kate was introduced to the work of Dr. Ray Peat, Dr. Broda Barnes, Dr. Constance Martin, Dr. Han Selye, Dr. Uffe Ravnskov, Josh Rubin, Danny Roddy and many others.
Within one year, after spending significant time reading, researching and personal experimentation, Kate healed her body and her metabolism. Along the way, her entire belief system about what constituted “true health” shifted 180 degrees from what she had been practicing during her almost 20 years in this industry. Good health was a no longer defined by how many hours she could work out, how much will-power she had, or how low her body fat could get. Good health is now defined by a lack of injuries and sickness, great sleep, good digestion, healthy skin and hair, lean muscle and a warm body, overall happiness and emotional well being.
Kate knows and understands that the nutritional, mental, physical and spiritual components of a person’s life must act synergistically…one is not more important than the other.
Education and Experience
- Owner Kate Deering Health and Fitness 2007- Present
- Z-Health Practitioner 2014-Present
- ACE Personal Trainer Certified 2002- Present
- NHI (Natural Healing Inst.) Certified Nutrition Consultant (CNC) 2005 – Present
- Independent nutritional researcher On-going
- Olympic Lifting Coach 2012
- DCT Eccentric Stretching Practitioner 2011
- CHEK Inst. Holistic Lifestyle Coach II 2011
- TRX Suspension Trainer Certified 2010
- CHEK Inst. Holistic Lifestyle Coach I 2010
- Boot Camp Instructor 2008-2012
- CHEK Inst. Exercise Coach 2009
- Holistic Health Wellness Coach 2008
- Gravity Training Systems (GTS) Fitness Personal Trainer and group instructor 2006
– Exercise Physiology 1994 Berry College, Rome GA
– Psychology 1994 Berry College, Rome GA
Currently, Kate trains clients at the Boys and Girls club in Solana Beach, CA and at Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe. She also does private in-home training in the Del Mar, La Jolla, and Rancho Santa Fe areas. Kate performs lifestyle and nutrition coaching with clients worldwide, via in-person, Skype, email and/or phone.